Submitting a car insurance claim can be a cumbersome procedure if you don’t have ready access to the relevant documents required for car insurance claim. Several documents are required to claim car insurance. There are some specific documents that are needed to get car insurance from your insurance company.
No need to worry if you are not sure about the car insurance documents that you should keep handy for submitting a claim. Here is a primer for you.
Documents needed to claim car insurance
Following are the documents that are mandatorily required by insurance companies when you file a claim:
- Claim form, duly filled and signed by the policyholder
- A copy of your policy documents
- Details of your car and a copy of your driving licence
- Chassis number
- Name of the policyholder, and contact details
- A copy of the FIR containing the details (in cases of accidents)
- Approximate losses incurred
- Tax receipts of the vehicle
- A copy of the Registration Certificate
- Repair bills, if any
- Surveyor’s report, if any
- Bank details of the policyholder when filing for reimbursement claims
- A copy of the non-traceable certificate issued by the police station (in cases of theft)
- In accident cases, details of other vehicles involved
- Details of witnesses, if any, in case your vehicle met with an accident
- Claim reference number
Note that the exact list of documents required for claiming car insurance may vary depending on your insurer. However, these are the standard car insurance claim documents that most insurance service providers would ask for. Check with your insurer about the documents required for motor insurance claim when signing the policy papers.
Documents required for car insurance:
If you are applying for a new policy, you will need to submit certain documents with the insurance policy. Here is a list of documents required for vehicle insurance:
- Insurance proposal form, duly filled and signed by the person applying for the insurance policy
- Vehicle’s invoice
- A copy of the RC book of the vehicle
- Identity and address proof of the proposer
Your insurance provider may request additional details or documents at the time of making the application. For example, the insurer may ask you for the details of any previous insurance policies along with the insured amount. Whenever you are applying for a new insurance policy, make sure to ask the agent/insurance company representative to provide you with a list of documents needed for car insurance so that there is no room for confusion when you submit the proposal form.
Obtaining and claiming under a vehicle insurance policy is easy, provided you submit the relevant documents. Make sure to have easy access to such documents so that you don’t have to run from pillar to post right before you file a claim or buy a new car insurance policy. You can also maintain a separate file containing copies of the relevant documents so that you can easily access them when the need arises.
Disclaimer: The above information is indicative in nature. For more details on the risk factor, terms and conditions, please refer to the Sales Brochure and Policy Wordings carefully before concluding a sale.