How to Check Car Insurance Policy Status Online
The auto industry in the past few years has been growing by leaps and bounds. The insurance sector too has been benefiting from an expanding auto sector. There has been wider and better awareness about the benefits of insurance too. There is still much room for improvement, though. Safe keeping of insurance documents is one example.
It has been noticed more often than not those insurers are desperately trying to locate their car insurance after meeting with an eventuality. It is not an ideal situation to be in. Insurance details should be at your fingertips all the time.
What if you do not have the documents handy? Here we explain how to check four-wheeler insurance status.
Information Bureau of India
You can check the status of car insurance online through the Information Bureau of India (IIB). The IIB is under the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI). The IIB has the task of gathering and handling the data of the insurance sector of India. You can use the V-Seva which allows individuals to track the accident records and track the status of insurance online.
There are two circumstances under which you will have to check the insurance status of the car. One is if you lose the insurance policy details and the other is when you meet with an accident and need to get the details of the car. In both cases, you will need certain information to check the policy details through IIB. This information includes:
- Vehicle registration number
- Insurance policy owner name
- Email ID and mobile number
- Address of the vehicle owner
- In the event of an accident, date, and place of accident.
Now, let us quickly look at the steps you need to follow for car insurance status check online.
- Visit the IIB website
- Click on Quick Links under the home page
- Here you will see the tab named V-Seva
- Once you click on it, you will go to a new page of the Information Retrieval System
- On this page, you need to fill in details like the name of the owner, mobile number, address, email ID, place and date of the accident, and the vehicle registration number
- Now hit Submit
- You will see the insurance details of your car now
Things to keep in mind:
- You should have the registration details before you check the status of the policy as you will have to enter the registration number of the car on the portal.
- Additionally, you can only search for the insurance information for a maximum number of three times through the same email ID and mobile number.
- If you have recently purchased the insurance, IIB may not have the details. It will take about two months for it to have the details on its portal.
- IIB will only have insurance details on vehicles that are insured after the 1st of April 2010.
If you are unable to find the details on the website, you need to check for it on VAHAN e-services.
You can find all the vehicle registration details on VAHAN, which is a national registry of vehicles. This information is available for citizens and regulators alike. Let us take a look at the steps for car insurance status online check.
- Head to the VAHAN e-service website
- Now, click on know your vehicle. You will find the tab at the top of the website page
- Fill in the car’s registration number
- Now, click on the option “search vehicle
- You will find all the details here
These are the two quick ways for car insurance status check online and you can check this from the comfort of your home. If you are not able to find the details and are still not sure how to go about it, you can consider the offline options. It could become time-consuming to check the insurance details offline. This is why the online ways are highly preferred and are efficient.
If you have failed to renew the car insurance policy, you will not be covered. Hence, keep the renewal date in mind and renew the policy on time. Always keep the registration number handy if you are looking to check the status online. It will make the process easy, hassle-free, and convenient for you.
Disclaimer: The above information is indicative in nature. For more details on the risk factor, terms and conditions, please refer to the Sales Brochure and Policy Wordings carefully before concluding a sale.