Every car insurance policy is different. Sure, there are some basic features that may be common between policies, but essentially every policyholder holds a customised policy which works best for their vehicle. The uniqueness of every car insurance policy is further underlined by the car insurance policy number.
What is a policy number for car insurance?
In simple words, it is the identification code for your car insurance policy. It is granted by your insurance provider to segregate your policy from others. Through this unique identification number, the details of your car insurance policy can be accessed.
When is the policy number asked for?
It is important to know how to find your car insurance policy number as there could be certain situations when it could be called for. Hence, once your motor insurance policy number has been issued, you should keep a physical copy or a soft copy available with you. Instances where your policy number may come in handy are:
- Check posts: There could be situations wherein you are pulled over by an authorities concerned for questioning. This is typically seen in high security areas. Since driving without at least a third-party liability coverage is a punishable offence, the insurance policy number for your vehicle may be asked for verification.
- Unfortunate Events: Insurance is purchased to cover for potential damages in case an unfortunate event in future. If it does happen, and you contact your insurance provide for coverage, the first check is to verify your insurance policy number.
- Purchase/renewal/cancellation: If you were to either purchase a new car insurance policy, renew, or cancel your existing policy, all situations would require you to furnish your car insurance policy number to move forward with the process.
- Selling your car: In a sale scenario of your insured vehicle, the prospective buyer may check for your policy number details to know of the coverage and other details. You would also need your policy number to generate a request for retention of your No Claim Bonus.
How to find my car insurance policy number?
Usually, your car insurance provider sends over your policy documents, which has your policy number details, online to your e-mail address or to your physical home address. However, there are other online and offline ways through which you can figure out how to find your car insurance policy number.
- Insurance provider’s website/smartphone application: With the advent of technology, it is become increasingly difficult to lose things. This is because there are portals which hold an online record of everything we own, tangibly or virtually. You may log in to the concerned insurance company’s website or download their own application on your mobile phone. By entering a few details about yourself – name, address, registration certificate details of your car etc. – you would be able to generate the policy number of your insured vehicle hassle-free.
- Insurance Information Bureau (IIB): In 2009, the Insurance Regulatory Development Authority of India came up with the Insurance Information Bureau which essentially keeps a digitalised record of all car insurance providers in India. By accessing their online portal and entering certain details about your policy, you may be able to answer how to find my car insurance policy number online. However, please note that IIB is a very recent online platform which would only hold records of motor insurance policies purchased after April 1, 2010.
It is important to mention another online platform, VAHAN eService, here. While it doesn’t hold car insurance policy numbers, however, it can be accessed to check the validity of a vehicle’s insurance policy. These can be beneficial when one is looking to purchase a used car and wants to check on its existing insurance policy.
- Visit your insurance provider: The most straightforward way to know your policy number details would be to visit the insurance company who provided it to you, in the first place. You may visit a branch office of this insurance company, which is closer to you, and on the basis of your vehicle details know of your vehicle’s insurance policy number.
- Contact them telephonically: Most car insurance providers have customer care executives who can be reached to figure out your car insurance policy number. You could have quick chat with the representative, let him/her know of your insured vehicle’s details and they can retrieve the policy number from the company’s database.
Your car insurance policy document contains important information, including the car insurance policy number. In the odd scenario of losing out on this information, rest assured, there are several ways through which one can know how to find the auto insurance policy number.
Disclaimer: The above information is indicative in nature. For more details on the risk factor, terms and conditions, please refer to the Sales Brochure and Policy Wordings carefully before concluding a sale.