Relocating Your Car to a New State? Here’s a Guide on Insurance and Registration
Car Insurance

Relocating Your Car to a New State? Here’s a Guide on Insurance and Registration

When you relocate to a new state, you may end up bringing your car too along with your furniture and other belongings. Before you set off to make memories and have adventures in your vehicle, you must follow certain formalities. To learn more about re–registration and changing insurance from one state to another, continue reading.

How to re–register your vehicle in a new state?

If you relocate from one state to another and intend to use your car for more than 1 year following such a move, you have to re–register your car in the new state. The re–registration regulations are as follows:

  • Step 1: Get a NOC from the traffic department.

    For vehicle registration, you must get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from the Regional Transport Office (RTO). To that end, submit two NOCs from;

    –Traffic Police

    –National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)

  • Step 2: Visit RTO and submit the documents.

    Once you have the aforementioned NOCs, visit the RTO office with the required documents, including Form 28, attested registration certificate, etc.

  • Step 3: Re–registration of vehicle

    You can now approach the RTO in the new state and submit the required documents for re–registration to get a new registration number.

  • Step 4: Payment of road tax

    After moving to a new state, you must pay road tax in that location via a demand draft.

How to complete transferring car insurance to another state?

Along with re–registration, you need to also update your car insurance too once you move. The following tips will help you with car insurance transfer:

  • Notify your insurer: Notify your insurer about your relocation as this can help them clear any of your doubts. Also, update your address and personal information so you can receive important communication from the insurer.

  • Upgrade your policy: Relocating is the best opportunity for you to upgrade your auto insurance. You can opt for car insurance that suits your needs, especially taking into account the new location you have moved to. If you have moved to a bigger city, you can bump up your insurance from third–party insurance to a comprehensive motor insurance policy.

  • Consider switching to a new insurer: When moving to a new location, you might want to research and switch to an insurance company that caters to where you have relocated. For instance, you may want to choose an insurer that has a wide network of cashless garages in your new state.

  • Transfer your No Claim Bonus (NCB): You do not have to lose your NCB when you switch over to a new insurer. You can opt for it to be transferred and enjoy the reward offered for a claimless year.

We hope that this article helps you if you plan to relocate with your vehicle. Finally, do remember to keep your car insurance policy renewed regularly so that you enjoy the peace of mind that the continuity of protection brings.

Disclaimer: The above information is indicative in nature. For more details on the risk factor, terms and conditions, please refer to the Sales Brochure and Policy Wordings carefully before concluding a sale.

Looking for the right policy?

Manage Your Policies at Fingertips

Avail Your Insurance Benefits on the go with SBI General Mobile App

Download the App Now

qr code
apple play storeplay store