Breast Cancer Treatment Cost in India
Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer, affecting 13.5% Indians in 2021 alone, as per a report. Due to causes unknown, the DNA in the cells mutate, and keep multiplying. From diagnosis to post–surgery care, Indian medical institutions offer impressive cancer treatment facilities. Keep reading to know more about breast cancer treatment costs in India and how to manage them.Breast cancer & treatment
Breast cancer is caused by the abnormal growth of cells in the breast. The cells multiply rapidly and form lumps. Cancer can invade the surrounding healthy cells and lymph nodes and form new tumours, known as metastasis. Breast cancer can be treated in several ways, but the most widely known treatments include:
- Lumpectomy: Oncologists surgically remove the cancer tissue.
- Mastectomy: Oncologists amputate the entire breast.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is an intravenous treatment that shrinks or kills the cancerous cells.
- Radiation therapy: High–intensity rays shrink the tumour and kill the cancer cells.
Breast cancer surgery costs vary from patient to patient. Below is a gist of the types of treatments and costs:
Lumpectomy and mastectomy are the most common treatments. These invasive procedures typically cost a lot, starting at several thousands to a few lakhs.
Cancer patients may also need to undergo several cycles of chemotherapy. The cost of chemotherapy for breast cancer can range from Rs 25,000 onwards, depending on the hospital, city, and doctor administering the chemotherapy.
If cancer has spread severely, oncologists may recommend radiation, which costs several lakhs, depending on the cycles prescribed.
You can buy two types of health insurance policies to help you cover cancer treatment costs.
Cancer care policies that cover the treatment costs for various types of cancer.
Critical illness health insurance policies that cover cancer treatment costs and the expenses of treating various other long–term illnesses like cardiovascular ailments, multiple sclerosis, paralysis, kidney failure, etc.
- Oncologist consultation fees: The oncologist’s fee depends on the oncologist’s experience and the hospital where they offer consultation.
- Hospitalization charges: Most cancer treatments are in–patient procedures for which you must pay hospital room rent and other associated costs.
- Medication and diagnostics: Cancer detection tests, biopsies, medicines, post–surgery care, etc., can also impact the breast cancer treatment cost.
Cancer treatment usually involves expensive, long–term extensive care. Unlike a general health insurance policy, the insurance provider pays you the sum insured against cancer care and critical illness policies when you receive the diagnosis. Thus, you do not need to file cashless or reimbursement claims and can get access to the funds to bear the breast cancer treatment costs without having to file multiple claims. These policies equip you with the finances and the peace of mind to concentrate on your treatment.Invest in health insurance
If you haven’t yet, you should invest in a health insurance plan today. You can encash the insurance policy to pay for the treatment costs associated with various mild and severe medical conditions.Disclaimer: The above information is indicative in nature. For more details on the risk factor, terms and conditions, please refer to the Sales Brochure and Policy Wordings carefully before concluding a sale.